Saturday 12 January 2019

New Stuff and a New Race!

It's been a week of 'tapering' this week, easing off the miles in the run up to the Brass Monkey Half Marathon, which has worked quite well as it's also been back to work after the Christmas holidays! 

A few weeks ago I used the vouchers my class bought me to get myself some new running kit to keep me going through the rest of the winter as I keep increasing the miles. And what can I say? There's nothing like new kit to give you that extra bit of motivation! I have some fantastic new thermal leggings, so the cold is no longer an excuse for not wanting to run, as well as a Camelbak to keep me hydrated on my longer runs and so far it seems to be working well! 


I have recently survived a 13 mile run (and managed to complete it in a time that would a PB!), which is a good sign seeing as tomorrow is the Brass Monkey! You would think this would inspire some confidence, but no... Still the stress dreams come! I'm sure all will be well though! 

Mother Dearest and I did a bit of a practice run on New Year's Day, doing the 'ParkRun Double', getting to York in time for a Race start and running on the flatter ground across the York and Heslington ParkRuns. It was definitely worthwhile and we enjoyed the double ParkRun and both got new PBs for the courses! (Fairly easy when you haven't actually run the course before!)  

Once we have completed the Brass Monkey, we are officially into London Marathon territory! Moving on from the half marathon training plans and beginning those for the marathon. Even as I type that, I can feel the butterflies in my tummy! It's all beginning to feel very real and very scary! 

Having said that, I think it's important to remind myself, that despite the fact that I am finding this incredibly challenging, I am also really enjoying it. I can feel the progress and I am understanding the way my body is responding to being pushed further than it ever has before. I am enjoying the knowledge that I am fitter and faster than I have ever been before. And I love that I can go out and run for an hour comfortably, which used to seem like a big challenge! 

In other news, we have a new member of our running community! The lovely E joined us for her first ParkRun last week and she was great! She might correct me, but I think she even enjoyed it! 


Watch this space for the result of the Brass Monkey! Come Monday I should hopefully have a new medal and T.Shirt in the collection and fingers crossed for a new Half Marathon PB!

Remember that all of this hard work is for a very good cause and we need as much sponsorship as possible. I'm currently at 41% of my goal and would love to get over the half way mark with this half marathon, so head over to my Just Giving page and leave a donation!

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/fiona-kitchingman 

No comments:

Post a Comment