Sunday 13 January 2019

The Brass Monkey - PB!

Well, I did it!! Despite the nerves and second guessing, I completed The Brass Monkey in 1 hour 48 minutes and 13 seconds! 

I am completely thrilled and over the moon with how today went. Mother Dearest and I got up at about 7 and had our pre-run breakfast of porridge. There was almost a disaster at this early stage, when I added regular milk to my oats rather than the dairy free oat milk that I should have. Luckily I realised and was able to start again, as that would have really ruined my race! 

By 8.15 we were on the road to York, being tormented by all the phantom pains that seem to plague runners in the build up to a race. For me, it was my hip that suddenly started to hurt, and was that a twinge in my knee? Disaster! 

On arriving at the Racecourse in York, we went for a a quick explore to find the start and finish and see what we were dealing with... Oh and have the compulsory extra toilet trips that you're not quite sure if you really need! 

Then it was time. The Garmins were set, the jumpers discarded and the runners ready to go. Just one more thing to do. Run it! 

I am pleased to report that everything went to plan! The tapering off did its job and my legs and body were ready to go and the pace felt good! I was slowly overtaking those around me and feeling strong, repeating my mantra "This is what you have trained for! You can do this!" and I really could! 

The first half of the race I was easily ahead of my target pace of 8.20 minute miles (which would get me in at 1 hour 50 minutes), however the second half didn't come quite as easily! This was probably due to the headwind that was attempting to pummel all of the runners into submission as we made our way around the largely unprotected course; the worst of which seemed to coincide with the final 800m. 

Turning back into the Racecourse, I could see that if I just kept putting one foot in front of the other, I was going to finish in under my goal time. But every runner knows you want to put in that final push on the home straight! Well the headwind soon put rest to that! I put in the extra effort, but that only seemed to maintain my existing pace in the face of the wind! Something that did help however was the friendly faces of some of the Knaresborough Striders, cheering and supporting all the club members over the line. It was actually remarkably comforting seeing the familiar blue and yellow vests out on the course, knowing that there were friends who would help carry you along to the end of the course with motivational words should you need it! 

At the end of the day, it didn't really matter. I still smashed my PB, knocking almost 12 minutes off my previous time and felt relatively good while doing it! However, if you had asked me to turn around and run back, my answer would have been very short and contain only two letters. NO! 

But that is the next challenge and I will now be getting myself ready, both physically and mentally, to do double what I have done today! 

A massive congratulations to all the Striders and other athletes who ran today's race and to all of those who helped to put the event together. It was a well organised event and seemed to go off without a hitch! Also a big shout out to Mother Dearest for her new PB as well! What a team! 

Please help me celebrate and ease my aching legs with a donation, big or small, to my Just Giving page for The Home Farm Trust. 

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/fiona-kitchingman


Smiling faces despite the aching legs! 



No comments:

Post a Comment