Thursday 17 January 2019

Shivers Down My Spine

It might have passed a lot of us by, but this week, history has been made!

On Sunday, whilst I was exhausted after running 13.1 miles, an incredible group of people were setting out on an even bigger challenge: running 'The Montane Spine Race', an ultra marathon spanning 268 miles of The Pennine Way. 

I have always been in awe of people who even contemplate taking on the challenge of an ultra marathon and these amazing runners are no different. What they have achieved is nothing short of incredible and I am absolutely using them as a source of inspiration as I embark on the next phase of my marathon training! 

Now I mentioned history being made, and you might be wondering "Surely this race has happened before? What makes this one so special?" Well I will tell you what has made this one so special: An incredible woman called Jasmin Paris. 

Jasmin Paris, a mother of a 14 month old child, won the Montane Spine Race. She didn't just win the 'Women's Race'. She won THE RACE, finishing in 83 hours, 12 minutes and 23 seconds! This smashed all previous course records, beating the previous fastest man by 12 hours and 5 minutes and the record women's time by 26 hour and 42 minutes. WOW! 

What an inspiration for women in sport?! 

On the flip side, IronMan UK have just launched their 'Iron Girl' 5K race. Yes. 5 Kilometres, and on the same day as Jasmin Paris blew her male competition out of the water! What a marketing mistake! 

Women have had no problem in taking on the challenge of the regular IronMan, so why patronise female athletes with a 5 Kilometre race, marketed only at women? 

I understand that a full IronMan race might be intimating to athletes just starting out in the sport, but are there not male beginners too, who may not be ready to take on the full or half IronMan? Would they not appreciate access to a 5 Kilometre version of the race? Or is this privilege just reserved for we of the fairer sex? (I would not be surprised if you could actually hear my eyes rolling at this point!)

It seems that I am not alone in my outrage at this PR blunder and women and men all across the internet are voicing their opinions on this addition to the IronMan calendar; many of which refer to the fact that we have come so far in terms of gender equality, that they are horrified that IronMan Uk thought that this would be well received. One commenter even states she is concerned that if she competes in the race, she may not make it back to the 1950s in time to have the washing, ironing and cooking done before her husband returns home from work. 

I think this really highlights the importance of raising the profile of the incredible female athletes that continually achieve amazing goals, setting a fantastic example for girls and boys everywhere. We mustn't be limiting the aspirations of our future athletes by sending them the message that the 'girls'' race is only 5 Kilometres long! 

Our girls can do whatever they set their minds to and I am going to show them just that! Compared to The Montane Spine Race, the London Marathon is only a very short distance, but it is the metaphorical mountain that I have chosen to climb, and climb it I will. 

I am woman, hear me roar! 


No comments:

Post a Comment