Sunday 16 December 2018

A Bad Day At the Office

Today was 'long run' day... 10 miles.. And boy, were they long! 

For the first time since upping the distance of my runs, I actually had good weather! It wasn't raining, the temperature wasn't below freezing and I wasn't running in the dark. Surely it was going to be a good run? No. No it wasn't. Everything was lined up for it to be a good run, everything except my energy levels it seemed. 

Right from the outset, things felt hard. Maybe I was a nervy as it was my first long run after my week off due to feeling so poorly? I suppose I have to understand that not every run is going to be 'a good run' but it felt rather demotivating today, like I was wasting the perfect conditions! But as far as bad runs go, it was pretty bad; I racked up a fair few issues, including (but not limited to): going over on my ankle, the mp3 player running out of battery and the energy gel making me feel sick! So yeah, overall really not great! But on the positive side, I did it and I have lived to tell the tale! 

After a run like today's, the reality of the 26.2 miles challenge is really starting to sink in now. That's actually really far! Like, really really far! 

However, now that it is officially the Christmas holidays, I am hopeful that my training is going to be a little bit easier, as I will be able to run in the daylight instead of either before or after work which is always inevitably in the dark. I'm actually quite looking forward to it! It's got to be better than today's running right?! 

I also have something extra that's going to make my training even better;  some really thoughtful Christmas gifts from my lovely class and children who I teach, including some Up & Running vouchers, a thermal ear warmer and some bath soak! I'm really looking forward to going and treating myself to some new gear in the next couple of weeks to get me through these cold training runs. 

So here's to better running than today! Fingers crossed! 

Please keep me going by visiting my Just Giving page and leaving me a donation and a message, it really does make all the difference! 

No comments:

Post a Comment