Thursday 25 October 2018

Frustration and a Fundraiser

This has been a week of frustration in terms of my training, but a week of joys in other ways!

I haven't been running since Sunday, which is 4 days and it's driving me crazy!
During my 8.5 miler on Sunday, I noticed a twinge in my right ankle, but it wasn't bad enough to make me stop. It felt more like a pin prick and was easily ignored (I will concede it probably wasn't the wisest of choices).

My ankles have been sore for a while, but at the end of the day, what did I expect, pounding pavements with such determination?! It was bound to happen! Whilst it might be the inevitable, it doesn't make it any easier to put up with!

This week I was planning on continuing with my recent routine,  running home from work on Tuesday, but I noticed that my right ankle was looking a bit puffy; so putting my sensible head on, I decided it was better to give it a miss and allow my ankle time to rest and heal. Come Wednesday, which is my Running Club day, my ankle was no better and ended up being strapped up by the lovely First Aid expert at school. An evening of elevation and ice seemed to bring the swelling down, but not completely.

I'm hoping to be back out running tomorrow or Saturday, just taking it steady. I don't know if I can handle resting any longer! Although, I am remembering my mantra: Rest days are important!! And my new one - Listen to your body!

It has felt very frustrating not being able to continue my training as I had planned, however I am slowly beginning to realise that it might have been for the best; not only for my sore and poorly ankle, but for myself generally. I've been attacking training with a lot of enthusiasm and I've been feeling particularly exhausted recently. The two things aren't necessarily related  (but let's face it - they probably are!) Although I have plenty of energy whilst actually running, it's all the other times that I find myself yawning and wanting to curl up under a duvet! The other possible cause for the general exhaustion is the crazy 8 week half term that we are just coming to the end of! I am definitely ready to spend some time recharging my batteries, getting the training back on track and beginning to experiment with some new meals and nutrition. 

So after an amazing weekend last week, smashing a Parkrun PB at Fountains Abbey, I somehow don't think that I will be getting that PB feeling this week!... If I even make it round a Parkrun this weekend!

I have however been cheered up by lots of new song selections for my Marathon Playlist! It's definitely a varied selection and I love it! I also have loved the enthusiasm of some of the Year 6 children at school who held a cake sale on Monday and raised £105 for The Trust! It was a real triumph and there were lots of tasty treats to be had!



If you're unsure why I am taking myself on this journey, allowing myself to become battered, bruised and exhausted, please take a look at my previous post about The Home Farm Trust and have a read of 'My Story' on my Just Giving page. Any donations and messages of support are very much appreciated as I get ready to pound the pavements some more (ankle dependent of course!)

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/fiona-kitchingman


No comments:

Post a Comment