Sunday 14 October 2018

Level Up!

What an amazing day! Officially on one of those 'Runner's Highs' that we all like to tell you exist! Today is the day that I have achieved goal number 1: Run ten miles before Christmas. 

Before setting out on today's run, I was not filled with so much excitement. In fact, knowing that I was planning on running 9 miles today, I woke up many times in the night and was even having stress dreams about it! However, despite my disturbed sleep and the fact that the forecast was predicting rain, rain and more rain, I put on my running shoes and psyched myself up for the onslaught. 

Ready to go!

On leaving the house, the rain wasn't so bad... A mere drizzle. Well that lasted for all of 5 minutes before the heavens officially opened! At this point, the voice was there in the back of my mind.. "You could just go home. Nobody would blame you in this weather!" "This is going to be really hard in this weather. Your shoes are already soaked!" "Just give up now."  

At this point, I did the only thing I could.. Turned my music up and got on with it! And do you want to know the really marvellous thing? It felt great! I was going steady on my pace, focusing on the distance and even whilst looking and feeling like a drowned rat, I loved it. By the time I had completed 7 miles, I had a choice of heading home by the most direct route, or going around the edge of the stray. It was such an easy decision! The stray was as gorgeous as ever and it was lovely to see people who had come out in the rain to support the footballers (although I did see one particularly aggressive tackle which should have been a red card in my opinion!). 

Running down Skipton road as I hit mile 9, I was having a great time. Yes, I couldn't feel my fingers and I was soaked through to the skin, but it was dawning on m that I could actually do this. I could actually run the London Marathon and run it well! 

At this point, there was a lot of self affirmation going on inside my head. The little voice had perked up by this point and she was much more positive! "You're amazing! "This feels great" "You're going to smash it!"  The wet feet and soggy clothes didn't matter anymore. I was smashing it and loving life! 

So now that I am home and have dried off, I can relax and eat lots of chocolate for the rest of my Sunday, guilt free! 

Soaking wet but feeling great! 



Please don't forget to visit my Just Giving page and have a read about the charity I am raising money for and maybe even leave me a donation and a message of support. It would be much appreciated as I know how important donations are to this charity and what a long way they can go. 

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/fiona-kitchingman 

No comments:

Post a Comment