Sunday 4 November 2018

She's At It Again..

She's at it again.. 'Who?' I hear you ask... S of course! My incredible sister, marathon runner extraordinaire!

This time, she has gone even further afield - all the way to The Big Apple! As I type, S is running her 20th mile of The New York City Marathon! This is her 7th marathon that she has completed and I remain totally astounded by her determination and strength. In my previous post about S's marathons, I was struck by what a difficult time she had while running in Berlin, yet she's definitely not let it put her off! Me on the other hand... There's a certain amount of trepidation about the challenge I am undertaking.. But that's natural right?!

Whilst S went to Berlin chasing a time, she has gone to NYC chasing an experience. It's not every day that you go to such an amazing city and take part in a race of this magnitude, so I think she has definitely got the right idea! And what an experience she is going to have had! Not only is she running through the streets of New York, she also took part in the opening parade of the marathon.

Having a seasoned runner like S in the family is incredibly useful for a person in my position... My position being someone who has possibly bitten off more than she can chew! Despite S's busy life and personal training schedule, she always has time to offer help and advice to those of us just starting out on our marathon journey; something which I am very grateful for!



Now S isn't the only one who has been out pounding the pavements this weekend. Mother Dearest has put in the miles too (a little more locally), completing the Guy Fawkes 10 mile race today. A seasonal outing, this particular run is known to be more than a little challenging, comprising of a fair amount of steep inclines that could stop the most seasoned runners in their tracks, or even put people off from entering entirely (Hello! That would be me!), but not Mother Dearest! After being unable to complete this race 15 years ago due to a circumstances beyond all of our control, she had some unfinished business to take care of. And take care of it she did; completing all 10 miles, hills and all in an amazing 1 hour 42 minutes!

So with these two beautiful ladies paving the way, it is time for me to lace up my trainers and troop on!


It is 10 weeks to the Brass Monkey Half Marathon in York, which is the next goal. Having achieved my '10 miles by Christmas' a couple of months early, I can hopefully up the pace and put in a good time in my 4th half marathon.. Dare I dream of a PB? With the support of these two inspirational ladies, I definitely hope so!

Please don't forget to visit my Just Giving page and read about my family's story and why I am completing these challenges. The blood, sweat and tears will be all be worth it to achieve my fundraising goal.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/fiona-kitchingman


No comments:

Post a Comment