Sunday 9 September 2018

The News!

So after happily applying to take part in next year's London Marathon, assuming that the likelihood of getting a place was slim to none, it turns out I have exactly that... A place. In next year's London Marathon. 

I received this news whilst driving to Wales with a friend for the bank holiday weekend; a phone call from my mum saying "Get your running shoes on!" Luckily she will be undertaking this challenge with me, so her excitement was tinged with as much terror as my nervous laughter! 

So far the plan is simple: run 10 miles comfortably before Christmas, as that is when the real training will begin. *Gulp* 

Week 1 after finding out I have a place, my enthusiasm definitely got the better of me. I racked up nearly 40 Kilometres over the week, running 5 out of 7 days without even realising what I had done. This is a mistake any seasoned runner would warn you about, along with the lecture "Rest days are important!"  Well let me tell you - Lesson learned! A considerable pain in the top of my foot meant a week off running while I waited for my body to forgive my misguided exuberance. 
Five days off, one chiropractor appointment, an hour of Pilates and 2 pain free days later, I risked a gentle Saturday morning Park Run on the Stray and  I am pleased to announce that after my false start, I am ready to start the first phase of training in earnest.  Hooray!? I will learn from my previous mistakes and my daily mantra, which you are all welcome to remind me of is... Rest days are important! 

Please take the time to visit my Just Giving page, where I have explained about my chosen charity and why they are so important to me and my family. Any donations and sponsorship is much appreciated and will make all the training and blisters worth it! 

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Fiona-Kitchingman 

No comments:

Post a Comment