Monday 18 February 2019

Operation Knight in Shining Pyjamas!

It's been a little over a week since my last post, and so I've managed to do a fair bit of running. Unfortunately, I also managed to pick up a not so fun sickness bug from somewhere, but alas, that comes with the territory of being a school teacher! 

As I mentioned in my last post, I was heading out for a 14 mile run last Sunday, which I was hoping was going to be easier than the previous 14 miles that I completed in the snow and ice! Thankfully, the weather prevailed, Storm Eric kept his distance and I was able to complete my run in a more respectable time and felt like I had really achieved something. A definite lesson in self belief and perseverance!  

This weekend posed its own challenges however. As I already mentioned, I came down with what seems to have been a 24 hour bug on Thursday, which completely sapped me of any energy and left me unable to eat anything. Needless to say, Thursday's 7 mile run was cancelled; as was my working day on Friday. 

Not going into work is something that I really hate; not only because I have the typical fear of missing out, but because I know that it puts extra work onto other people and of course, I don't get to see my classes and be involved in all the lessons I had planned! 

Friday was no different. I sent in my lessons for other people to teach and tried to sleep off all the aches, pains and nausea, whilst wondering whether of not it was yet 'safe' to try and eat a slice of toast. (At this point, it is important to state that as The Fiance was away with work, I had no food in the house. Shout out to Mother Dearest who came to the rescue, delivering paracetamol, bread, satsumas!)  

Thankfully, by Friday evening I managed to eat a little bit of dinner, which combined with a good night's sleep, seemed to sort me out! And not a moment too soon - I have a goal of 100 parkruns to achieve! It was steady, but I went and I did it and it felt okay. Which was just was well, as I had a bigger mountain to climb on Sunday! 

Sunday was the latest in the "Furthest I've Ever Run" series. 16 miles. And boy, did it feel like 16 miles! The weather was great, perfect running conditions: I ditched the thermal leggings for the 3/4 length capris and was ready to go! The route was planned, I had my Camelbak of water on my back, my energy shot blocks in my pocket and my trainers on my feet. What could go wrong?! 

I shall tell you what could go wrong.. I could set off without my knee supports. Disaster! 

It was only at the first knee twinge, around mile 4, did I realise my mistake. All the usual thoughts crossed my mind. "It will probably be okay?" "Maybe I should give it a go without them today?" "But remember, you've never actually run this far before!" Logic (or fear) prevailed and I called The Fiance with some slightly odd instructions.. I needed him to locate the knee supports and take them to the end of Knox Mill Lane and leave them on the road sign, where I could run past and pick them up on my way! Luckily, my message was received and understood and "Operation Knight in Shining Pyjamas" was a go! 

As the run progressed, I was infinitely grateful that he ventured out in his PJs, as my knees were really beginning to feel the strain. 

I met a friend at around mile 8 and she joined me for the remainder of the run, which was nice. Two and a half hours is a long time to be out running by yourself! I was especially grateful to have her with me at the end, when my knees finally gave up! 

As soon as my Garmin announced we had reached 16 miles, we stopped running, and my knee just stopped working! The last 100 metres back to the house seemed to go on forever! 

Luckily it all seems to have settled down by today! Ready for tomorrow's 5 miles! 

Please remember to go to my Just Giving page and leave a donation and keep me pushing through all this pain! 

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/fiona-kitchingman

No comments:

Post a Comment